What is a let down?
Baby sucking sends messages to mums brain.
2 hormones are released - prolactin (makes milk) and oxytocin (contracts muscles)
Milk is forced out, flood gates open
A let down:
- Can last approx 1.5-2 mins
- Is very important for successful breastfeeding
- May feel painful or tingly, or no sensation at all
- Occurs when there is a change in suck pattern - GULPING
- Can get better with practice and time!
Women can have an average of 2-3 let downs per feed
More let downs =more milk for baby