Why your baby does not need formula
- It is recommended by the World Health Organisation (WHO) that babies are exclusively breastfed (ie only Breastmilk is given to the baby) for at least 6 months
- Formula has no human antibodies giving no immunity
- It contains foreign proteins like bovine and goat, not human proteins
- One feed can remove the benefits of colostrum which lines the gut to help protect it. This can take more than a week for it to return to normal.
- Powdered formula is not sterile
Remember there may be occasions where formula may be needed for clinical or medical reasons. Always discuss this with a Lactation Consultant or your LMC/GP/ Well child provider.