What can I do to prepare for breastfeeding?
Learn about Labour and Birth
- Drugs in labour and their effects on Breastfeeding
-Techniques for natural, drug free birth
-Consider the role of the partner and wahanau
- Learn about the "Online Breastfeeding Program"
Talk about Breastfeeding
- How does your partner feel about breastfeeding?
- Ask your mum/whanau what it is like for them
- Seek out local breastfeeding support services - lactation consultants, LLLNZ, peer counsellor
-Discuss with your LMC
-Let everyone know you will be breastfeeding, get them on board
Do some reading and watch videos
- Get familiar with what is normal and whats not
-What to expect in the early days
-How to hand express
Get to know your breasts
- Get comfortable with them
- Find some supportive maternity bras. Be mindful of anything that may flatten nipples or restrict milk flow
- There is no need to do anything to prepare your nipples